Laurie Laner, CFP®, CeFT™
President, Shareholder, and Financial Life Planner
Laurie is the innovator, founder, and president of Financial Designs. Always working in a client-centered environment, she started her practice at a large independent financial planning firm in 1988 and established Financial Designs in 1992, the same year she achieved her Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) designation.
As an award winning firm, she and her team pride themselves on providing clients with the security of knowing that their finances are handled so that they can lead their best life. Through the years, Laurie has become a specialist in the retirement transition process, widows adjusting to their new reality, and most any life transition. Her clients have benefited from her expertise in executive benefits as well as providing guidance based on a more compassionate, holistic, finances-demystified methodology.
Laurie became the first Certified Financial Transitionist (CeFT™) in the Twin Cities metropolitan area in 2016. This certification has provided the natural evolution to more advanced expertise in guiding individuals through significant transitions or any life changing-event.
As a sought-after speaker and columnist, Laurie is recognized as a financial expert.
- National Association of Fee Only Financial Planners (NAPFA)
- Current member
- Member of a national study group
- Financial Planning Association (FPA)
- Current member
- Current mentor for the national association and Minnesota chapter
- Past executive director of public finance forum for 7,500 consumers with Star Tribune and IDS (now Ameriprise) as partners
- Past committee member for strategic planning for the national association
- CFP Career Center
- Current mentor
- Adjunct professor University of Minnesota for Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) training in retirement and employee benefits
- Top wealth manager in Minneapolis/St Paul for years 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, and 2011 by Minneapolis-St. Paul Magazine and Twin Cities City Business
- Recognized speaker for Fortune 500 companies, local businesses, and associations
- Regular contributor to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, USA Today, Minnesota Public Radio, WCCO Radio and numerous other media outlets
- Monthly columnist for Women's Business Minnesota Magazine
- Past board member for Tubman, an organization to serving victims of domestic abuse, elder abuse, and sex trafficking
- Past board member for the Arthritis Foundation board – North Central chapter
- Past board member via gubernatorial appointment to the Minnesota Board on Aging
- Past board member Macalester College Alumni Association
- Macalester College, St. Paul, MN, cum laude
- Avid cyclist (road and off-road), hiker, working out
- U.S. and world adventurer
- Time with her very funny husband Mark and lovable dog Abe
- Reading fiction and non-fiction, cooking as time permits, football, compelling or sappy TV/movies